Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Indian Cheif

In sunday school today, a woman raised her hand to give a comment and told this story that her dad use to tell her about and indian cheif and a boy in his tribe.

The boy was coming into the stage of being a man. The indian cheif sat him down and told him that ever person has two wolves inside of them. One wolf is a bad wolf, who is carnal, sentual, full of pride, is vain, has a mind to hurt and so forth. The other wolf is a good wolf. It meek, humble submissive, chairtable, kind, comapssionite, loving, always wanting to serve, considerate and so forth. Then the cheif told the boy that a mans journey through life will take him through feelings of both, but we hope that the good one wins.

The boy asked the cheif, "How do I make sure that the good wolf wins?"

The cheif said, "Don't feed the bad one."
----------------------------

I loved this. We always hear to feed our spirit with good things. But we don't often talk about what NOT to feed, when sometimes I wish this was partnered in those talks all along.

From now one when thoughts come into my head that make me feel less - such as not feeling pretty, feeling frustrated about house cleaning, feeling ofended from somehing soe one did--- so on and so forth. I am not going to feed into it. I feel that if I push these things from my mind when they first come in then I can't allow it to put me in a bad mood like it sometimes does.

Now that I am typing this the thought also came to me of when I would be scared or hear a bad word and my Mom would tell me,"Just replace it with a primary song. Sing yourself to sleep and you won't be scared. Invite the spirit into your mind and you own't think about the things you heard said at school...." She was right! (duh!) Feed the spirit! Invite him in! Do not feed thoughts that you know you shouldn't be having. Exchange them for soemthing good. Life will be that much better! I am so glad I went to church today! As I usually am. Hope this finds you all well. Sorry I babbled! Love you all!

3 comments:

Mike and Tia Fam said...

Thanks for sharing Jess! It reminded me of an analogy that Mike and I have talked about: If a 'bird' (bad thought) comes into you head swat it away - quickly - before it craps on you! Ha ha, sorry not quite as beautiful but you get the idea.

alma and nicole smith said...

i really liked that story as well. church is always such a great pick-me-up. glad you like your ward.

stephanie and sean said...

Okay you are truly inpsired because my bad wolf is running wild, and my good wolf is practicly dead :) I am truly going to make this my weekly goal. I need THINK more proactivly! Oh thank you thank you thank you. I so enjoyed this story. It's really something worthwhile to think about :)