A little girl in Annica's class at school passed away, unexpectedly. When I went to pick her up, the teacher pulled me aside and explained the situation, and told me that they were leaving it up to the parents to tell the children. So I called DJ and told him, I did not want to tell her alone. We pulled her into our bedroom that evening and told her.
We explained to her that She had to go to Heaven to be with Heavenly Father now, and that she would not be at school anymore.
"Ok. Well, I will save my candy for her when she comes back."
By now I realize we have to explain this a little bit better. I know that she needs to understand how it really is. But I also desperately want her to have hope, and happiness. I feel awful for the Family that has lost their child. At the Same time I feel an urge to protect my child. I don't want her to have to deal with this at 5 years old. Its too hard, too real, too sad for my little girl... So DJ and I explain that when our bodies die, our spirit leaves them, and our bodies no longer work. Our spirit goes to live in heaven, with Heavenly Father and Jesus. Then when Jesus comes again, we will all have an opportunity to be resurrected. Our spirits and our bodies will be reunited, and perfected. Then we can all be together again, including this little girl who had passed away.
"Why did she die mommy?"
"I don't know sweet heart. Her body just got too sick." - me
"Sometimes we just don't know when Heavenly Father will call us home." - DJ
"Did her mommy die?"
"no"
"Did her Daddy die?"
"No, but her parents are very sad and they will miss her very much."
"Well I am excited to see her again, when she comes back with Jesus."
It's incredible that children are so pure and meek, humble and mild. Because we have taught her of Heaven, and because of our beliefs, to her Heaven is Just as real as going to colorado for a while. And she has hope in that. I guess we all should have that same simple, pure hope. That faith that what we are taught is true. To her, she accepted it, and believed it. She knows its true.
There have been days when she has come home and said different things like "I miss her, mom. I wish she were there to play with me."
Last night in the car she started singing a song, "She died, and I miss her. She went to live in Heaven..."
Then today she came home and told me that they all took pink balloons outside, and let them go in the air, so that they could float up to Heaven for her. What a sweet idea. I was thankful for the Teachers that took time to do this for our children. It meant a lot to her. It meant a lot to me. The song she learned as they sent the balloons away made me want to cry.
"Oh my darlin', oh my darlin', oh my darlin' clementine. You are lost and gone forever, oh my darlin' clementine."
Annica knows the truth. Her friend is not lost. Nor is she gone forever. The separation in this life is awful when someone dies. No one can try to pretend otherwise. But This little girl is not lost, she is Home with her true Father in Heaven. She is not gone forever, no, She will live again.
We were once in Heaven With our Heavenly Father. He presented a plan for us to come to Earth, to have free agency, to be tried and tested so that we could learn all that we would need to learn to be perfected, to reach our full potential. Those of us here on Earth, we accepted the plan. We jumped for joy, and we came here. And when we leave here, we are accepted back into his arms. We believe that children who have not reached the age of accountability, die guilt free and are promised many, many blessings. We believe that families can live together forever, under the right authority, we do not believe in "till death do us part". Death is so sad for those left behind, so lonely, and a very hard trial to endure. I know, I have experienced lots of people dying. But Death is NOT the end. I am so grateful that I have been taught this truth, and I feel of its truthfulness and power. I do not know this little girl's family, I do not know their beliefs, but I hope they do not think she is lost and gone forever. How much harder that would make that trial. Maybe someday I will share that with them. What a blessing to have the gospel.
What a blessing to have such a faithful daughter who knows and feels the truth. Annica is pure, humble meek and mild. So is Eli, and Tanner too. No wonder Jesus tells us to be like little children. So faithful they are. Even we can look up to them, look to their examples to become better. I am so grateful for my family, and that we can live together forever, and so grateful for that knowledge.
13 years ago
5 comments:
What a touching story. I too am extremely grateful for knowledge of God's plan and that I can be with my family forever. What a blessing it is that we have the Temple. Thank you for this story sometimes it's nice to remember why we are here and that even when life gets busy to just step back for a moment and remember our Savior and Heavenly Father's plan for us. I hope you do have an opportunity to speak with this girl's family.
oh my. whew. tears this early in the morning. thank you for sharing, Jess.
It is hard when these little ones leave so soon. You're right, they are not lost or gone forever. I'm grateful to know the truth.
I hope I never have to experience the death of a child! Thanks for the congrats! We are SO excited! I am trying to be better about blogging!!
Thank you for sharing that experience with all of us. You and DJ are such wonderful parents. I'm so thankful that the Gospel is true. I'm so grateful for Annica's example. I smile as I think of her still making up songs in the car. Oh how I love her, and how I miss you guys!
HI Jessica- sorry to hear about annika's classmate. Annika's response about her coming back was very typical for a 5 year old. I'm glad they did the balloon release. We've lost 2 nieces and that has become a tradition on their birthdays. Drawing pictures is also a theraputic thing. You guys did a great job explaining death to her. Times like this make me so thankful for the plan of salvation. Thanks for sharing your sweet testimony of it. And my condolences for Annika's loss of a friend. Sometimes I think it is harder for the parents than the kids to go through ;( Take care!
Post a Comment