Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Banana Yum Muffins

a more healthy treat!

I hate throwing away bananas that go bad. Every time I buy banana's I vow that we will eat every one. Most of the time that fails. So I have two recipes that we then pull out. My grandma sherwood's amazing banana bread or a recipe from a friend for amazing Banana muffins! (with chocolate chips!) But I have recently been learning more about changing things to make them healthy for our kids by adding less of the processed foods into things. ie: whole wheat instead of white, sugar in the raw instead of the normal stuff, applesauce instead of oil, adding flax, buying things with less ingredients.

I am so far from doing a great job at this, and maybe someday I will get there when I have more energy. However, here is my friend's banana recipe revamped and tasting yummy! I call them

Banana yum muffins! (with chocolate chips!)
1 3/4 cups flour (i did 3/4 cup whole wheat, and 1 cup white)
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teas salt
1/2 cup applesauce (or try 1/4 applesauce, 1/4 oil)
1/4 cup water
2 large, ripe, mashed bananas
chocolate chips (optional, and delicious)
flax (optional and good for the system)

*note: Using sugar in the raw, instead of the normal stuff would be a good choice. I did not make that good choice, though i don't think anyone would be able to tell.

Bake at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Makes a dozen medium sized muffins. YUM!

2 comments:

Joy Hutchings said...

They look really good, I think I'll try your recipie next week when my bananas brown up really nice :) I love that you use applesauce!

stephanie and sean said...

i always feel so sad for throwing away black bananas, and it's inevitable really. i should start buying smaller bunches, or greener bananas because we just can't eat them fast enough! this is the perfect remedy. thanks for sharing :)