Wednesday, July 7, 2010

And Then There Were Three



We have three kids. Three. Throughout my pregnancy I heard all sorts of comments like:
"Are you crazy?"
"Were you planning on three?"
"You know its going to be SO SO SO hard!"
"You are going to need so much help!"
"Three is so hard, just you wait!"

and on and on. I know that these people said these things because they love me. Believe it or not, I wanted three children, and maybe even more. I waited to be ready for a third, and I thought these people were crazy for saying these things to me. I was ready for a third and I was going to prove it not only to them- but mostly to myself. So I prepared myself for a hard baby. I would be cheerful no matter how hard it was. I didn't want to seem like I couldn't handle it. Because I could handle anything. And I would put on a cheerful face no matter what.

Well guess what? On june 4th 2010, Heavenly Father laid the easiest baby in our arms. I don't have to put on a cheerful face, the smile just appears without trying. Tanner is so calm and patient. Every moment is a joy! He eats every 3 hours, and has since birth. He has had no problem breast feeding. He sleeps in his crib, and he sleeps a LOT. When he wants to be held, wrapped up, fed, or changed (which is a lot), he whines mostly. And when he does scream, all we do is hold him and he stops immediately. He only wakes up twice in the night to eat- knock on wood. Our price for a sweet, calm little Tanner? Lots of poop. We are changing at least 13 diapers a day. He poops when he wakes up, while he is sleeping, before he eats, after he eats, even while he eats - which pretty talented I must say. But lots of poop really is a small price to pay to have it so easy.

The kids are so good as well. I once had a friend tell me that her third was her easiest. She is the only friend that has ever said anything remotely close to that. It was because the other two played so well together, that she did not have to entertain them, plus she is a "glass is half full kind of woman." I secretly hoped for that. I got it.

Annica and Eli are so, so sweet with the baby. Annica loves on him, and sings to hims and talks to him. She would sing to him for an hour if he would sit still for that long. Eli mostly ignores him. But when he does pay attention its all sweetness, kisses and giggles. I thought he would have some jealousy issues, but he hasn't. In fact when I am breastfeeding, Eli will come and talk my ear off. Why? Because he gets my undivided attention for 20 minutes. He knows I can't move, or clean, or blog. I am stuck, and he can tell me anything he wants. Who would have thought that he had so much to say?

What sweet moments children bring! What a joy life is right now. We feel so blessed to have three beautiful healthy, loving and patient children. And we know that Tanner was meant to be ours at this time in our lives! It really is a big sigh of relief to have him here healthy and perfect.

8 comments:

Lynne said...

Cherish this time - listening to Eli talk now when he is little will make all the difference as he gets bigger. John still remembers when he had little "visits" first thing in the morning he would come climb into bed with me & we would 'visit." You're a wonderful mother!

Holly said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! You are such a wonderful mother, and I'm so glad you've been blessed with such wonderful children! What a blessing (& relief!) to be blessed with such a wonderful baby after having to deal with Eli & the NICU the last time around. (I'm hoping for an easier child/newborn experience for our second time around!) :) So glad to hear things are going well. And all three of them are so adorable!!!

Lori said...

I love this story. I am so happy for you and that the adjustment is going well. I have similar thoughts. I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Lillian was a hard baby and Abigial not so much. It will be fun to see what this one is. Congrats again! I just wish we were closer and could go through the adjustment to 3 together!

Jolena said...

I love that Eli will talk your ear off now that he can get your full attention. What a character! I can't wait for my baby to come, though it's still forever away so I can get in on a few of these moments. :)

Joy Hutchings said...

Time to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride! It goes so fast! I love you guys and even though we live so far away I'm glad that we are able to follow each others lives! Aren't blogs great?!

alma and nicole smith said...

CONGRATS you two! your children are so well behaved anyway, i wouldn't have expected anything different with tanner :) we'll have to get some family pics when we see you next year.

Rasmussen Family said...

It's nice to hear your thoughts on having three kids and I definitely hope to make it there someday:) just one step at a time one day at a time and it's amazing how much we can accomplish

stephanie and sean said...

you are a breath of fresh air. you are such a blessing in my life. i hope i can be a mother like you someday. your wee ones are just naturally wonderful, but they are so much better because of you and dj. i can't wait to meet the little man. i'm glad he brings you a smile and a sigh of relief :)