Monday, April 26, 2010

It's Worth More When You Earn it

A few weeks ago, we were walking through a store, and Annica decided she wanted a big girl bike. She looked at me and said, "You could just buy it for me." In a matter of fact tone of voice. Uhhh... I am not sure I want her to get used to that. Don't get me wrong, I love my dear children and love to buy them things. But I don't believe in complete spoiling. So we decided that she was right about one thing: she needed a bike. She is too big for her trike. But she needed to earn it herself. How? Chores. She already has a few chores she has to help with without pay: make her bed, clean up her toys, clear the table etc. But we made a "Big Chore Chart" and she earned her way with stickers and coins to being able to buy a bike. She earned what she could, $3.30. (its not the amount that matters, its the learning experience that counts) And Mom and Dad made up the rest.

She cleaned bathtubs, windows, cabinets, vacuumed, swept, helped Daddy clean out the car..... 20 different Big Chores. No kidding, she REALLY worked HARD. We were so proud of her. She worked hard at each chore, because she knew what she was working for. You should have seen her face when she put that final sticker on her chart! Boy was she proud!

We counted her money, had a lesson on tithing, (set aside tithing, which she was proud to give to the bishop at church) and headed to the store.



She picked the purple, sparkly, bike with streamers out the handle bars and a pink seat. Who would have thought they made a custom Annica-style bike? It even comes with a bag to collect things. What does she collect? Rocks and leaves! She rode it right out of the store and straight to the car!
I know we are partial- but she is practically a pro already! Being careful of little kids, braking when she is going too fast, turning well, and working up her muscles going up hills. She says when she gets brave enough she will try to go down the hills.

7 comments:

Momza said...

Jess, you & DJ are great parents!
WAY TO BE!
Annica's bike is awesome!

Holly said...

So fun! What great parents you are, and what a perfect teaching experience! She looks so cute (& big!) on the bike!

grandma Shauna said...

A new bike and Annica earned it! This is awesome and I am so please with her and her ma and pa. I love you sooo much!

Rasmussen Family said...

I love it. Purple and sparkly and everything. Go annica!

stephanie and sean said...

oh my goodness you guys come straight from heaven. it's like i was reading a sunday school lesson manual (and i mean that in the most amazing way possible). how perfect you are! annica has a sweet ride! streamers make everything fancier :)

Joy Hutchings said...

Sweet bike Annica! Do you think they make one in my size?? I love how you made her earn the money to buy it!

Nielsen Family said...

So cute, Jessica! Way to go with teaching her important principles in life! Love it!