Friday, January 15, 2010

She or he.... was a great fish..

When Annica was potty training, she had a potty chart. When she finished this chart she was awarded by being able to pick out her own fish. (she would have rather had a puppy, but we are starting small here). She was determined to find a purple girl fish.
Well the only purple fish we could find were male betas. So we told her it was a boy, and she refused to believe it and named it Pearl.

We have had Pearl for about a year. She has been an awesome fish. Swimming around like no body's business. Flaunting her colorful fins with dignity and fierceness. Jumping out of the bowl twice trying to free [himself] of girly bowl decorations, not realizing that to the rest of the family he was a girl. And eating blood worms with speed and grace. She listened as Annica told her stories, and obeyed when Annica told her to be a good girl.

About a week ago Pearl stopped eating. We are not sure why. Then a couple of days later, her fins stopped flaunting. And yesterday when I went in there I saw her have a seizure of some sort.... twice. And after that, I could see her gills moving slowing and harshly to try to breath. Last night I told DJ I thought she was dying. We noticed three weird brown spots on her back. Sure enough this evening, DJ went in to find Pearl peacefully passed away, and secretly flushed her down the toilet.

Not long afterward, before we had discussed how to tell her what happened, Annica came in and asked why Pearl was no longer in her bowl? So we told told her that Pearl died and went to heaven. (all toilets lead to fish heaven, you see... we spared her that detail). I picked her up a snuggled her, and told her how sorry I was. I told her she could pick out another fish soon. I gave her many comforting head strokes. I was thinking she would have a different reaction then she did. She frowned for a moment, and I thought she might cry. But instead she said, "Well, I like orange fish too."

So heres to a fish, a glorious fish. A fish who will be missed, despite his dearest friends words. Heres to Pearl!

5 comments:

Momza said...

Ha! We had a male betta fish too...we had it for close to a year! I was kinda glad it died b/c I was the only one who remembered to change the water! Orange fish are good too!

Lori said...

Glad she took it better than you thought. We have some goldfish that are about to hit three years that we could share with you if you were closer :-) We got them free at a scouting dinner and they just keep swimming.....

Britney said...

Cute blog entry! Annica is such a sweetheart!

Kirst said...

Thanks for making us smile despite the sad subject, we look forward to meeting the orange fish soon. :)

Leah Woolley said...

Orange fish are pretty great! Mine is named Robin- except he still lives in Colorado. I love you! I miss you!