Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pregnant woman did what??!

This crazy pregnant woman, bought a puppy. Do we still have the precious thing? No. This crazy pregnant woman soon came to her senses.... let me explain.

This is Rocky... (like Rocky Mountains, not the boxer)

Annica's fish died right? right. So we went to the pet store to buy an orange fish. When we got there, the local pet shelter was having an adoption day. There was a litter of 7 puppies. We decided to hold one... thought he was cute, "Of course I could do it!" I thought. So we bought ... pardon me, we ADOPTED him. We names him Rocky. And in all sincere honesty, he was precious. He learned to potty outside quickly, he learned the word "no" quickly, and he also quickly understood which toys were his and which to stay away from. He loved to snuggle. He layed down about 7 feet away from me when I was busy cooking, cleaning, resting.

So what was the problem? I am a pregnant, PREGNANT mother of 2. 2 kids under 5 that is, and nourishing one inside my body. I am busy chasing them all day, playing with them, taking care of them, sleeping from being tired all of the time. Did I mention I am in the middle of potty training my two year old? And this may make you shout "DUH!"--But If I did not watch that puppy every moment of every second he was outside the kennel... he peed on the carpet! And I am talking lots of pee. Even if I had just taken him out to potty. Plus he liked to nibble on the kids, and show Annica his dominance over her (if you don't know what I mean... i am sorry... this is a family blog here).

I just couldn't keep up with him to teach him all he needed to know, to be the well behaved perfect "Zeb" - dog we wanted him to become. It was taking way too much time, and to be done right would have taken ALL of my attention. Time and attentiong that should be geared toward my two young children, and my husband and taking care of myself in my current condition. (zeb was a friends dog...the best dog we ever met! and thats what we always compare our dream dog to).

Annica loved Rocky, and wanted him more than I did. But surprisingly when I told her sweetly that mommy couldn't take care of this puppy, and that he was going to live somewhere else-- She quietly listened. I explained that I wanted to spend more time with her and Eli and less time trying to take care of a puppy. And she looked up and me a smiled and gave me a kiss and told me it was okay. She is the sweetest and most forgiving little girl, and I am so glad to have her as mine.

Don't worry, we did not take him back to the shelter. We found him a sweet and loving home, in which he will be overly spoiled and never see a kennel again. Thats right- he will be sleeping in his new owner's bed along with another puppy. But he will never be alone and they will treat him well. I wonder if dogs wet the bed?

Am I glad we did it? In a strange way, but only partially... yes. We have always wanted to try to have one and have debated back and forth for over a year. Now we know, and will stop wondering and dreaming. We will wait until the kids have grown a bit, and they can help. We will wait until we have a fenced in back yard, and not an apartment staircase. WE WILL WAIT. and now, it won't be hard to do so. Some how, I think it will be a lot easier to be a pregnant mother of two now. I think I will enjoy it even more, and stress out way less... because I have seen it worse, and now the load is lighter... so in some sort of a strange way, I am glad, it will make things seem easier and more enjoyable than before the dog even.

So what's the biggest lesson learned? - thats easy-- Don't let pregnant women make quick and rash decisions while having an extra hormonal day! ...or at all for that matter!

What a week! What an experience! Thank goodness I have a husband who loves and supports my fickle ways and crazy days! I would not want to do this alone!

11 comments:

Momza said...

:::APPLAUSE::: Been there, done that!

Lori said...

Very cute puppy, that would have been hard to resist, pregnant or not. :-) It was great chatting with you, sorry it didn't work out but sometimes it's all about the ride!

Brooke said...

Ooops! Wrong Way!! I can't make a decision to save my life - pregnancy fries your braincells and makes you crazy - add that to caring for two young children - it equals disaster. I'm sorry you had to find a new home for your puppy - but I'm glad you did. Thanks for giving me a reason to smile today. You're amazing - REALLY!!

Kirst said...

Jacob will miss seeing Rocky, but good for you in putting your sanity first!

Mommom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommom said...

Good for you! And I just love your kids - and I'm so excited you're having another one.

As for puppies.... we're up to three, dogs that is. Ages 3, 6 & 7 - all Labs - and at times, it's almost like having little ones again so absolutely - GOOD for YOU! :)

Rasmussen Family said...

dogs are stupid!! good going!

grandma Shauna said...

You were brave to try and smart to know when it's enough. You did save a puppy's life. The picture is daring of annica.

Becky said...

Nice blog background! (Our is the same) Lanna told me about your doggie post, we were talking about dogs today. I am so glad that you found a home for Rocky! And I don't know if I ever told you congratulations on your pregnancy!! Congratulations:)

alma and nicole smith said...

Awesome shoutout to Zeb. He was the best dog I ever had and can imagine ever having. We are dying to get o e too, but are also playing the waiting game a little longer. Love you guys.

Erin said...

Ah. You have no idea what a relief this is to me! I was wondering how you were doing a puppy-puppy while pregnant and with two kids--mostly because it takes a long time to really, really train a dog, and chances are you'd pull your hair out trying to take care of a newborn, puppy, a husband, and two kids.

He is darling, of course. And now you know why P. was our first and last foster dog--I know too well that I'd have a hard time not keeping them all! But house breaking...is tough work involving a lot of patience! Better to do it when you have more brain space.