Happy New Year! In relief society on sunday, our teacher talked about resolutions. She did not give the normal speech about how we should all really concentrate, think, make big goals, challenges our selves. Instead she spoke of how we should not be overwhelmed as the world pushes the idea of new years resolutions. She said that really January 1rst is no different than December 31rst. And that yes, it is good to set goals, but we should not get overwhelmed and think that we need to change on that day. If we need time to recover, we should take time to recover and set goals at our own pace anytime of year. I thought this was inspired and true and I liked it, because in times passed I have been overwhelmed by the idea of new years resolutions, or just plain not interested in the idea.
However, this time is different. I have been looking at New Years day as a symbol of a new found strength. I have set goals and I made plans and I am going to make it happen. I am not overwhelmed, but feel completely excited! I am not going to tell you my resolutions until they are completed - mainly because I want them to be personal and to do it for me and not for anyone else. But I also just don't want to jinx them.
When looking up the definition of "resolution", it to me to the word "resolute", which then took me to the word "resolve". . My favorite was the first definition for resolve: to come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine. (dictionary.com)
I also love in the Movie National Treasure when talking about The Declaration of Independence Ben says
"... why say iron pen? Iron pen, the iron does not describe the ink in the pen, it describes what was penned. It was iron. It was firm.... It was adamant. It was resolved. It was resolved... a resolution that 55 men signed. The Declaration of Independence. "
To think how powerful a document that was and what it did for our country, our parents, us and our children. And thats what it was, a resolution. Why shouldn't we be able to have the same power in our own lives? Its no question - we do have that power. We just have to choose to use it.
4 comments:
Wow girl!! You're deep. Thanks for making me think. Good luck with your new outlook. I wish you the best 2009. Miss you. Love you.
Happy New Year favorite family of ours! Thanks for your thoughts on resolution. So true!!! I'm so excited for the new year. it's gonna be a good one! :)
Thanks Jess for your ideas. You are a great mom and wife and big sister. I love you oodles!
we are going to make our resolutions right now!
Post a Comment