Monday, September 28, 2009

Gone

Last night as the kids were falling asleep, DJ and I found ourselves gazing out the window. We have some large trees whose leaves and branches were blowing around harshly. The noise of wind would come in loud gusts against the house and then get sucked away down the road in a hushed whisper, and come back again. The rain was tinkering on the roof and on the streets, putting puddles in low places, and dripping down the windows. A scene of flowers drooping, and starting to wilt away, while the green grass has now allowed just bits of brown. The street lights glowing through the rain, were making shimmering reflections as if trying to fight away the chill. The temperature reading in at 52 degrees. Earlier today, the kids tried to go outside. It did not even last five minutes. They came inside shivering to show me their cold noses and toes. The weekly forecast is not getting warmer. As DJ and I continued watching out the window, the truthful words hung in the air, and somehow I was surprised to hear them..... " Summer is gone."

1 comment:

grandma Shauna said...

You may be in someplace warmer soon...? This is a well written post, beautiful. I give you an A plus!