Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Friday the 13th

I am not, nor have I ever been a superstitious person... however, this last Friday was a little tough on my little boy.

Long story short- Eli got a nurse maids elbow. Which means that he partially dislocated it. Now, this had happened to Annica when we lived in Idaho so I knew what symptoms to look for. And I KNEW that this was what Eli was dealing with. So late Friday night, I took him to an urgent care. I told the doctor what I thought, and he didn't listen to me. He took x-rays (which I knew he would - its rountine) and saw nothing. So he fiddle with it, all the while Eli is SCREAMING in pain. And says, I can see he is in pain, but I don't know why. I again pressed... its nurse maids elbow, will you try... and he said the he felt his elbow was in place because he could move it around. WHAT? (he obviously was not a pediatrician) And told me he would send the x-rays into a specialist, and that we should see if he felt better in the morning.

So.... we made it through a long night, every time Eli rolled over he screamed, so we brought him into our bed to keep a closer eye on him. And he cried and whined and whimpered. Saturday went about the same. his arm was limp at his side.Every time he tried to move his arm, or if it got bumped or nudged... he screamed. DJ and I decided that someone else better have a look. SO I took him to the E.R. and the doctor came in and I told him, I think its nurse maids. He said he agreed, asked if I would mind having a Student in her residency take a look at it. She came in, (supervised) and Popped his elbow back into place in ONE try. And not even two hours later, he was back to normal.....

don't doctors know that mama knows best?

6 comments:

Holly said...

Poor Eli! That is so frustrating when doctors won't listen to you. Yes, they are supposedly the "professionals," but doesn't your opinion, as THE MOM, count??? I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of!

Brooke said...

Cadence has had more than one run in with nursemaids. It's TERRIBLE!!! I'm so sorry that he had to deal with it for so long - poor boy. Miss you guys.

Rasmussen Family said...

That's why I would never go to an urgent care!

TnT Bingham said...

Hey Andersons! We miss you!!!! It was fun to catch up with you a little on your blog (so sad to hear about poor little Eli's experience...that sounds awful for the whole family!)--my favorite post was the spelunking! What a great idea! =)

So proud of you for making it through such a cold winter up there! I've told Trevor no matter how hot and humid it gets this summer I will not complain! =) Love you!

stephanie and sean said...

stupid stupid silly stupid doctors. i'm so glad that smart doc finally listened to you! and i'm so glad eli's feeling better :)

Britney said...

Sorry to hear that awful event with Eli...i hate the little guy was in pain! I hope you guys are doing well!! (& staying warm)