Thursday, September 8, 2011

Phases Of Life

Just when I thought I had settled into this phase of "being a mom,"
 Kindergarten happened.
 Who knew that there were so many smaller phases snuck into the phase of being a mom? (I know, you are thinking "Duh!")

I had settled in to being a young mother of three young children. Naps, snacks, teaching, playing, cleaning, and all over again... I had no idea that my complete view of life would be turned up side down and swirled into a colorful whirlwind when School hit. Real school. Not, "You-can-keep-em-home-when-you-want-preschool."

I had my kids trained to sleep until after 8:00. Which meant, we slept until then.
We stayed in our jammies all day on way to many occasions, and I am not ashamed.
We centered our life around naps. All hail the nap.
Tanner napped until he woke up. No limits.
We saw our neighbors and friends whenever we felt like playing and socializing.

Now.... we enter the school phase. which will last at least 18 more years. (what!?!) how about we call it the elementary stage, then we can cut those years down to around 12 by the time tanner is done.

 Take. It. Slow. Mama. 

We are on schedule. We set an alarm in the morning people!
Annica has to get dressed, eat, brush her teeth, go potty, make her bed, say her prayers...
While I make her lunch, feed her brothers, change diapers, brush my teeth and possibly get dressed....
And we do her hair and have family prayer...
All in less than an hour.
We have to be in the car by 7:55.
Tanner is down for a nap by 10:30
Eli needs some learning.
Lunch is at noon.
Clean, the both need to play, read books, sing songs, attempt exercise...
In the car by 2:30 to get annica from school

THEN... annica has like 3 hours to do what she used to have all day to do.

wwwhhheeeewww.
So... how is the sweet nearly-6-year-old enjoying school?

SHE LOVES IT!!! she wasn't even nervous the first day. Her teacher is fabulous, she is making friends and her favorite thing to do? ART. am i surprised? not. at. all. Art and animals are her two favorite things.

And hows the moma doing letting her little sweet girl go to school? (i know you are wondering, because you are so kind)
Its bitter sweet. I miss her. I used to have endless hours with her. And now, seven of those are gone. So it is completely and utterly strange. Eli is missing a playmate, and the house is oddly quiet a lot of the time.

But. We are staying on a schedule. The house has stayed more clean. (not perfect). Dinner is getting cooked. (more often). We are remembering prayers every morning, both her own, and family which has been a huge blessing. She is learning so much already, and happy about being there.  
Our time together is more cherished. a blessing. 
Ok enough already, let get to the photos. 

Here she is on the first day of school. So excited!! 





And here she is on the first day of "Color Week".  Still SO excited. They were encouraged to wear the "color of the day" all week. Red was the color on monday... 

and I was going to take a picture each day- and forgot.  But she loved it! And found something the correct color all week long. Happy schooling everyone! 

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh my sweet friend. I feel your pain. I can't believe our babies are growing up and leaving us. It's not right. It would almost make it a little easier if they didn't love it quite so much. I'm just sayin. Hang in there friend.

Lynne said...

I probably shouldn't tell you it only gets worse. Soon they're in middle school & before you know it they only have 3 years of school left & you wonder where did the time go...Then the panic sets in, have you taught them all they need to be taught etc...

Hang in there!

Nielsen Family said...

So fun catching up on your blog! I can't believe that's Annica! She looks so pretty and tall! Kindergarten is hard, especially since hers is all day. You'd love our new school, it starts at 9:30! It makes for great mornings, but the kiddos don't get out until 4.

So we're practically neighbors now! How are you liking it?