Today I came across an Article. I would like to share part of it with you today, if you would like to read the whole thing click HERE. This today, became a gentle reminder of how I ought to really live my life, and how blessed I truly am.
"The Gift of Compassion" by President Thomas S. Monson here are some highlights:
"My thoughts turned to the musical play Camelot, written by Alan Jay Lerner and based on a novel by T. H. White.King Arthur, in his dream of a better world where people would share an ideal relationship one with another, said, as he recalled the purpose of the Round Table, “Violence is not strength, and compassion is not weakness.”
"A stirring account which illustrates this statement is found in the Old Testament of the Holy Bible. Joseph was especially loved by his father, Jacob, which occasioned bitterness and jealousy on the part of his brothers. There followed the plot to slay Joseph, which eventually placed Joseph in a deep pit without food or water to sustain life. Joseph was extricated from the pit by a passing caravan of merchants, sold for 20 pieces of silver, and placed eventually in the house of Potiphar in the land of Egypt. There the young man prospered, for “the Lord was with Joseph.” 1
After years of plenty in Egypt, there followed years of famine. In the midst of this latter period, when the brothers of Joseph came to Egypt to buy corn, they were blessed by this favored man—even their own brother. Joseph could have dealt harshly with his brothers for the callous and cruel treatment he had earlier received from them. However, he was kind and gracious to them and won their favor and support with these words and actions:
“Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life. …
“And God sent me before you to preserve you a posterity in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance.” 2
Joseph exemplified the magnificent virtue of compassion.
During the meridian of time, when Jesus walked the dusty pathways of the Holy Land, He often spoke in parables."
--- he gives many examples of Christ teaching compassion through parables--. Then goes on:
"The Savior has always shown unlimited capacity for compassion.
On the American continent, Jesus appeared to a multitude and said:
“Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you. …
“… And he did heal them every one.”
Our Jericho Road
Our Jericho Road
"One may well ask the penetrating question: These accounts pertain to the Redeemer of the world. Can there actually occur in my own life, on my own Jericho road, such a treasured experience?
I phrase my answer in the words of the Master: “Come and see.”
How Powerful is that? Very. I am grateful for words of the Prophets to lead and guide us. And I loved reading this Talk. I hope you enjoy it too!
2 comments:
well you're right about the tears, Jess.
"Come and See." lovely and true.
thanks for blessing my heart today.
love you!
This is beautiful Jessi. Thanks for the reminder of how blessed we are.
Post a Comment