Monday, January 10, 2011

Quarter of a Century

I just celebrated my 25th Birthday. I am a quarter of a century old!

Because I got married so young, had kids so young, I have always felt a need to keep my age a secret. I desperately wanted to fit into the "Normal Wife and Mother" category, without being judged as immature, and young and careless and whatever else springs to mind. So I went on my Merry Mommy way, and avoided the "age" subject at most costs.

When we were in college we managed single- women apartments. Most of the girls/women were older than me. My boss and I agreed that age ought not to be discussed. One day, a girl brought it up- and I jokingly wouldn't tell her, knowing that she would think I was trying to hide my "Old age".  She looked at me and laughed, "Oh Jessi, I am sure you can't be over 30." She was right, I wasn't over 30. I was 19.

For my Christmas/ Birthday present this year, DJ sent me to the spa. I got a massage, a facial, a shampoo cut and style. It was a fabulous day, and sweet of him to know that Time for me was just what I needed. I loved that day and most of all,  I Love my new haircut! I wore it straight to church when we got back to GA, and a sweet chinese lady in our ward said to me, "Oh my gosh! You look so good! Seriously, you look like you are ten years younger!! ten years!!"

I thought, ten years younger? If I look ten years younger than my actual age, then I would look like I am 15. This clearly was not what she meant. I must have been looking OLD! (er than I am)

Since then I have realized that maybe in my trying too hard to fit into the "typical mother" category, I was creating something that didn't need to be. Maybe I have aged my appearance, the way others view me and the way I feel about myself, in doing so.  Why was it so important to me? I have no idea.

But no more!

I need to Embrace 25. I am young, and vibrant and will never be this way again!
I have been given a great life, and I am going to indulge in every delicious moment of it!




Heres to twenty five!!

15 comments:

Niki said...

I love, love, love the new do! And I can't believe you're 25! I think we had the age discussion once but I must have forgotten. Congrats on your 1/4 century b-day. I did hit the big 30 this past year and it was a little traumatic so enjoy your age!

Chelsea said...

You go girl! You are looking fabulous! I'm 25 too, it's not so bad ;).

Kristin said...

You made me feel old!! Just kidding...your haircut looks great and I love your sweater :) Where did you get it?

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! I'll be 25 in March and everyone tells me I look like I'm in High School! I hope you had a wonderful birthday and your hair looks great! I thought it was cute before but you look fabulous!

Amanda Fetters said...

You are absolutely gorgeous, and yes, you are much more centered and grounded than most of us in our 20s!

Holly said...

Happy Birthday! And I love the haircut! (And when we managed a single girls apartment complex, I was totally younger than most of the tenants too. Made for some awkward moments when one of them found out!)

Brooke said...

I'm so grateful to have you as a friend. It's funny how many years separate us, and yet - it never seemed like it. You have always been wise beyond your years. I love the new do and I love you!!

Lanna Palmer said...

Cute, cute hair! You're just a baby, I'm 33! You are right, you have a great life, and have been very blessed! I got lots of age comments too, and I was actually excited to hit 30, so I could feel like I had arrived to adulthood! You have a beautiful family, and lots to feel proud of for your 25 years:)

D said...

Happy Birthday! And I LOVE your hair. Great advise you just gave- it's always best to just be you, whatever age or stage (remind me I just said that when I turn 40 in a few months)!

Joy Hutchings said...

You are so funny Jessi! Happy Birthday and you are one hot mama with your new haircut!!! I have also kept my age a secret for years, lol...I didn't want to start college with everyone knowing that I was only 17!!!

Alisha said...

You young lady! I LOVE your hair, so stinkin' cute!!! Happy Birthday girl!

Christy said...

Happy Birthday! Love the hair!

Nielsen Family said...

You are so cute, Jessica! I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday & you look gorgeous! Hope this year is your best yet! Miss you!

Lori said...

You look awsome! (and you looked awsome before by the way!) Love the new hair. Happy belated birthday! Hope you are great! Embrace your age, you are only that age once!

grandma Shauna said...

Jessi you are getting very wise. Be proud and thankful, you have accomplished so much in your 25 short years!
I'm so thankful you are my daughter!